Wednesday 12 May 2010

Family Values

I watched the press conference from the garden of 10 Downing Street this afternoon.  It was very interesting watching the two party leaders, now Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister.  They had plenty to say, answered lots of questions and it all went very well despite the best intentions of the assembled journalists but there was something else going on in that garden which, for me at least, eclipsed Mr Cameron and Mr Clegg.  Behind the two men was the garden wall, attached to which was a nesting box which caught my eye at once.  Initially there was little activity around it but then the blue-tit parents appeared one at a time, seemingly oblivious of the crowd of journalists, politicians and staff, intent only on feeding their chicks.  Well after all, the Conservatives did promise to promote families didn't they but I don't suppose this was quite what they had in mind.

My son had to come home from school this afternoon as he was experiencing such severe pain in his back after a clash with a classmate during a PE lesson.  He was in so much pain he could neither stand nor sit and even laying down was uncomfortable.  Fortunately the doctor's surgery had had a cancellation so I was able to get him in during the afternoon.  The doctor we saw wasn't a regular, we hadn't seen him before and hopefully he is only temporary.  He hardly examined C at all, made assumptions about the lack of other symptoms without asking any questions and then diagnosed a muscle spasm!  Clever doctor.  I do hope that this is a muscle spasm and the anti-inflammatory medication and gel not only provide relief, but allow the spasm to relax.  If so, I think it will be in spite of the doctor and not because of him.

Darling daughter just gave me a half pedicure - she shaped and filed my toe nails and did the cuticle work.  Now I just have to grow my arms long enough to paint the toenails to ensure a set of pretty, summer tootsies.

No comments:

Post a Comment